SwimAbilities News and Updates
(up to date as of February 8, 2017)
- SwimAbilities Instructor courses are scheduled in both Edmonton and Calgary. Please contact the Lifesaving Society for more details.
- SwimAbilities is returning to Edmonton! The University of Alberta Aquatic Centre will be running SwimAbilities classes starting in January 2017, as will be the MacEwan University Sport and Wellness Pool. See SwimAbilities Locations below for more details.
- SwimAbilities continues run in Calgary at Village Square. See SwimAbilities Locations below for more details.
- Every child who does not yet fit into regular lessons is welcome in SwimAbilities, regardless of whether or not they have a diagnosis.
What is SwimAbilities?
This community-based, leveled swimming program is geared for children ages 3 to 16, with special needs, who need additional support to achieve their beginning swimmer goals and to increase their safety, independence, and enjoyment in and around the water.
Our goal is to have all children, regardless of their individual needs, swimming as independently and safely as possible!
SwimAbilities will be starting up again in January 2017 at both the University of Alberta and Grant MacEwan University.
University Of Alberta Aquatic Centre
Classes will run at the University of Alberta swimming pool on Sunday afternoons, and registration will be online, or families can register by phone at 780-492-2231.
- Registration is open.
Winter SwimAbilities Schedule: Sundays – January 29 – March 26*. 8 Lessons
*No classes Feb 19
|Date and Time|| University of Alberta
1:00 pm – 1:45 pm
34813 · $50
1:45 pm – 2:30 pm
34816 · $50
1:15 pm – 2:15 pm
|SwimAbilities 3 and SwimAbilities 4 (combined)
34817 · $50
MacEwan University Sport and Wellness Centre
Classes will run at the MacEwan University pool on Saturday afternoons.
- Classes can be viewed online in the program guide and online after November 17.
- Registration can be done online (click “Register Now” on the page) or by phone at 780-497-5300 extension 0.
- Further questions for MacEwan swimming programs can be sent by email to email@example.com.
Winter SwimAbilities Schedule · Sat · Jan 21 – Mar 25* · 8 Lessons *No classes Feb 4 & 18
|Date and Time||MacEwan University|
12: 45 pm – 1:30 pm
90413 · $95
90566 · $95
1:30 pm – 2:15 pm
90567 · $95
90568 · $95
SwimAbilities is run in Calgary at Village Square (additional details to come. Please call 403-268-3800 ext. 1 for information about registration and schedules.
A Teaching SwimAbilities course was offered in Claresholm in the spring of 2016. Please contact Claresholm Aquatic Centre directly for information regarding their swimming programs for children with special needs.
Communities who would like to offer SwimAbilities would need to have a certified swimming instructor take a Teaching SwimAbilities course run through Lifesaving Society Alberta & Northwest Territories Affiliates.
Please contact Laura Gilligan, Lifesaving Society SwimAbilities Expert Advisor, or the Lifesaving Society Alberta & Northwest Territories directly if you have further questions.
If you don’t yet know which level to put your child in, a general rule of thumb when deciding on a level is to choose the one where the child will be most successful, yet still challenged to improve their skills. A very quick and basic way to decide is the following:
- Can your child swim 15 meters or more on their front and back with no life jacket or floaties? If they aren’t yet, see the next bullet. If they are, SwimAbilities may not be able to meet your child’s needs. See Deciding On A Level page and click alternative options.
- Can your child swim 3 meters on their front and their back with no life jacket or floaties? If they aren’t yet, see the next bullet. If they are, SwimAbilities Level 4 could meet their swimming needs.
- Can your child float on their front and on their back, and swim one meter with no lifejacket or floaties? If they aren’t yet, see the next bullet. If they are, SwimAbilities Level 3 could meet their swimming needs.
- Is your child comfortable in the water and able to go under water either with minimal help, or all by themselves? If they aren’t yet, see the next bullet. If they are, SwimAbilities Level 2 could meet their swimming needs.
- Great news! SwimAbilities Level 1 is just right for children who are not yet comfortable in the water, or not yet going under water.
Our Frequently Asked Questions Page provides the answers to many more questions about SwimAbilities including information about who would benefit, families or aides in the water, swimming levels, and instructors.
Please contact Laura Gilligan, Lifesaving Society SwimAbilities Expert Advisor, if you have questions about SwimAbilities , or Lifesaving Society Alberta & Northwest Territories for further information on SwimAbilities, running SwimAbilities at your facility, or running a Teaching SwimAbilities course at your facility.