SwimAbilities News and Updates
(up to date as of August 3, 2017)
- Fall Registration for SwimAbilities classes at the University of Alberta Pool and at MacEwan University is now open.
- SwimAbilities class schedules are available below. Click on the SwimAbilities Locations below for more details or click on the pool you would like to see.
- Every child who does not yet fit into regular lessons is welcome in SwimAbilities, regardless of whether or not they have a diagnosis.
What is SwimAbilities?
This community-based, leveled swimming program is geared for children ages 3 to 16, with special needs, who need additional support to achieve their beginning swimmer goals and to increase their safety, independence, and enjoyment in and around the water.
Our goal is to have all children, regardless of their individual needs, swimming as independently and safely as possible!
MacEwan University Sport and Wellness Centre
No classes offered during the Summer of 2017.
Classes will run at the MacEwan University pool on Saturday afternoons.
- Classes can be viewed online in the program guide and online after August 1. Registration can be done online (click “Register Now” on the page) or by phone at 780-497-5300 extension 0.
- Further questions for MacEwan swimming programs can be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall SwimAbilities Schedule: Saturdays – begins September 23, 2017 (No classes November 11). Registration opens August 1.
|Date and Time: Sept 23-Dec 2, 2017
12: 30 pm – 1:15 pm
93271 · $60
93272 · $60
1:15 pm – 2 pm
93273 · $60
93274 · $60
University Of Alberta Aquatic Centre
Classes will run at the University of Alberta swimming pool on Sunday afternoons, and registration will be online, or families can register by phone at 780-492-2231.
No classes offered during the Summer of 2017.
Fall SwimAbilities Schedule: Sundays – begins October 1. Registration opens August 1.
|Date and Time: Oct 1 – Dec 3, 2017
|| University of Alberta
1 pm – 1:45 pm
37365 · $50
1:45 pm – 2:30 pm
37366 · $50
2:30 pm – 3:30 pm
|SwimAbilities 3 and SwimAbilities 4 (combined)
37368 · $50
Registration is accepted online and in person at the Customer Service desk.
|Date and Time|| Repsol Sport Centre
|Mon- Thurs July 31- Aug 10
| SwimAbilities 1
|Mon-Thurs Aug 14- Aug 24
|Wednesdays Sept 13 – Nov 29
SwimAbilities Classes will run on Monday evenings in Calgary at Village Square.
For Registration or Questions: Please call 403-268-3800 ext. 1
Fall SwimAbilities Schedule: Mondays, October 16 – December 4, 2017
|Date and Time:||Village Square
|Mondays: October 16 – December 4
6:00 pm – 6:30 pm
6417 · $60
A Teaching SwimAbilities course was offered in Claresholm in the spring of 2016. Please contact Claresholm Aquatic Centre directly for information regarding their swimming programs for children with special needs.
Communities who would like to offer SwimAbilities would need to have a certified swimming instructor take a Teaching SwimAbilities course run through Lifesaving Society Alberta & Northwest Territories Affiliates.
Please contact Laura Gilligan, Lifesaving Society SwimAbilities Expert Advisor, or the Lifesaving Society Alberta & Northwest Territories directly if you have further questions.
If you don’t yet know which level to put your child in, a general rule of thumb when deciding on a level is to choose the one where the child will be most successful, yet still challenged to improve their skills. A very quick and basic way to decide is the following:
- Can your child swim 15 meters or more on their front and back with no life jacket or floaties? If they aren’t yet, see the next bullet. If they are, SwimAbilities may not be able to meet your child’s needs. See Deciding On A Level page and click alternative options.
- Can your child swim 3 meters on their front and their back with no life jacket or floaties? If they aren’t yet, see the next bullet. If they are, SwimAbilities Level 4 could meet their swimming needs.
- Can your child float on their front and on their back, and swim one meter with no lifejacket or floaties? If they aren’t yet, see the next bullet. If they are, SwimAbilities Level 3 could meet their swimming needs.
- Is your child comfortable in the water and able to go under water either with minimal help, or all by themselves? If they aren’t yet, see the next bullet. If they are, SwimAbilities Level 2 could meet their swimming needs.
- Great news! SwimAbilities Level 1 is just right for children who are not yet comfortable in the water, or not yet going under water.
Our Frequently Asked Questions Page provides the answers to many more questions about SwimAbilities including information about who would benefit, families or aides in the water, swimming levels, and instructors.
Please contact Laura Gilligan, Lifesaving Society SwimAbilities Expert Advisor, if you have questions about SwimAbilities , or Lifesaving Society Alberta & Northwest Territories for further information on SwimAbilities, running SwimAbilities at your facility, or running a Teaching SwimAbilities course at your facility.